Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 7, Chapter 7


"The Story of Job" - unknown artist (around the year 1200)

Thank you for your responses so far.  I hope you'll take time to read one another's thoughts on the book of Job.  How did you feel about chapter 7?

A few of my thoughts:
-I read in a book the other day that Job expresses some of the most deep despair and pain and sadness in the whole Bible.  That seems clear in chapter 7.  Again, today, I cannot read these words without thinking of the people in Japan. 
-Many of these verses are painful to read (especially verses 19 and 20). But I can only imagine that in some ways, I think Job's words would be a comfort to people in the midst of turmoil and chaos.  When people are in the middle of extremely trying times, sometimes it's helpful to know they aren't alone. 

Questions for reflection:
-In what situations might the book of Job be a comfort to someone?
-Has anything about the book of Job surprised you yet?
-Does it seem like appropriate reading for the season of Lent? 

3 comments:

  1. I liked the first verse of chapter 7. "Do not human beings have a hard service on earth." It sure is hard, some days especially. You just wonder why you even try. You can just feel Job's dispair in these verses. Especially verse 6 "My days come to their end without hope." OR verse 16 "I loathe my life". Verse 11 Job is not afraid to tell God how he feels. I think God wants to hear from us even when we may be sad, angry,afaid or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Bev.
    Job's despair is so real and so raw.
    I love that he is so honest with God and with everyone around him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a good friend in the Navy Reserves that was sent to Japan earlier this week to assist. I've been in touch with him and his comments and perspectives make you really stop and think. The first few verses of Ch 7 are very powerful in the context of current events. I also like the last 2 verses, 20-21...Job point blank asks God "If I have sinned, what have I done to you....?" I think we've all asked this question to Him when we don't understand His plan...

    ReplyDelete