Thursday, March 24, 2011

Chapter 15: Let's Journey On

The Patient Job
Gerard Seghers (1591-1651)

Job's good ol' friend Eliphaz speaks.  Interesting.  I read his words and thought, "This is not very helpful" many, many times.  Actually, I found his words painful to read when I thought of what Job has been though.  Eliphaz seems to be turning it all around so it's Job's fault once again. 

This journey through Job is getting exhausting.  Chapter after chapter is painful to read!  What are your thoughts?  I think we should stick with it.  It's kind of a metaphor for the whole Lenten experience; it is meant to be a challenge.  It's meant to push us into directions we wouldn't want to otherwise go on our own.  I'm thankful to be reading Job in community with others.  I think God is teaching us about life and hope and sadness.  And I think by the end, we'll learn some new things about God, too.  Let's journey on. 

3 comments:

  1. These guys are Job's best friends ? Really ? With friends like these, who needs enemies ? The tone of chapter 15 is again very accusatory and argumentative from Job's "friend"...it's like Eliphaz is so frustrated with Job...I'm reading ahead...let's not quit now !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I tried this once but will try one more time. I agree with MDT, these are friends? I don't think so. He is telling Job that if he was good he wouldn't have all these troubls. And his list of things that happen to the wicked just isn't true in this world. The wicked are often not punished in our world. We like to think that evil will not prevail, but in our daily lives sometimes it seems like it does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Team Job! Let's stick with it. :)

    ReplyDelete