Monday, March 21, 2011

Chapter 12

"Job and His Friends" by Gustave Dore

Hello folks!  I hope you enjoyed your Job-free Sunday (I did), but now we're diving right back in!  Thank you for joining me for this biblical exploration.  I'm finding it a really helpful exercise.  Job has taught me a lot so far, and I hope God is speaking to you through this book of the Bible, too.

For chapter 12, we're back to a response from Job.  I found some fascinating ideas in these verses!  Verse 5 makes a lot of sense, basically: if you're in the midst of a wonderful, joyful chapter of life, it's hard to sympathize with people who are int he midst of a terrible chapter of life.  I think that's very true.  Also, I really like verses 7, 8, and 9.  Animals, birds, the earth, fish - they all know how challenging things can be.  I was intrigued that the "earth" is mentioned in light of all the catastrophes our earth experiences: pollution, war, disasters, etc.  The earth has definitely experiences challenge over and over again.   

Reflection Questions:
-Do you think Job is afraid of God?
-Job believes he has become the joke among his friends.  My translation reads "laughinstock" - if you were having coffee with Job later today, how would you comfort him?

No comments:

Post a Comment