Monday, March 14, 2011

Chapter 6

"Job's Comforters" by William Blake
Today I'm reading chapter 6 of the book of Job.  How about you?  For the rest of Lent, I plan to read one chapter a day.  I will not read a chapter on Sundays.  At this pace, I think we will end up finishing the book of Job just as the season of Lent comes to a conclusion.  We will definitely need to revisit chapters 1-5 in the coming weeks on the blog!  I have all kinds of questions about those chapters. 

As for today....what did you think about chapter 6?  Job's friend has just given him a giant earful of pretty bad advice.  Job is expressing his profound sadness and grief. 

As I read verses 11-13, I couldn't help but think of our brothers and sisters throughout the country of Japan.  It's hard to even fathom all that is happening there.  Verse 11 says, "What strength do I have, that I should still hope?  What prospects that I should be patient?"  Job lost everything.  He didn't understand why such horrible things had happened to him.  He didn't know what do to next.

A few questions for reflection:
-Can you identify with Job?  Have there been times when your sadness was beyond words?
-Job has friends who try but miserably fail.  Their advice stinks.  Have you ever received bad advice?  Have you ever given bad advice?
-Up to this point in the book of Job, what have you found meaningful?

Please share your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. Job seems to be at his low point. He has been abandoned by his friends. Filled with self-pity that he somehow sinned to a point that God would bring all of this misfortune on him....I for one can certainly relate. Feeling as though there is no goodness left, it's easy to go there at times.
    MDT1610

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bible heads chapter 6 as "Job replies: My complaint is just". I think that sums up the chapter. Job has done nothing to bring all this loss on to himself, even though his "friends" try to tell him he did. Job stands up for himself and doesn't let them convince him that God works this way. I can relate to the helplessness feelings in verses 11-13. Sometimes I just don't know what to do to help in a situation like the devestation in Japan. How does one even begin to help when the situation is so overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts, you two! Thanks for posting.

    M - glad that you've had some moments of being able to relate to Job's thoughts and feelings. I love that Job is so honest and real.

    Anonymous - I agree with you very much about verses 11-13.

    ReplyDelete