Monday, March 28, 2011

Chapter 17


Job's frustrations and complaints continue.  I am glad for his brutal honesty, although it's still painful to read.  I thought verses 12-16 were interesting.  In verse 12, it seems like Job is saying, "Don't try to make lemonades out of my lemons!  This situation stinks!  Just acknowledge how painful and terrible this is, guys!"  It made me think about how to honor and value people's painful circumstances as a pastor.  Oftentimes, I don't think people want to hear, "Everything is going to be just fine.  Just keep your chin up."

When you read verse 15, what did you think?  Job says "Where then is my hope?  Who can see any hope for me?"

2 comments:

  1. The heading for this chapter in my bible says, "Job has no hope." I think that is an understatement. I liked verse 10 where his friends are walking away and he calls them back. He seems to be telling them that he has listened to them so now they should listen to him. I find that I am thinking of Job often on this journey. Our circle did a bible study on Loving relationships. One of the articles was titled, "Judge Not." This made me ask, "Am I a better friend than Job's friends? Do I judge others unfairly? I also thought of Job as we sang, "Abide with Me" on Sunday morning-If only Job could have heard these words. That would have given Job some hope I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful thoughts, Bev. Thank you. I also find myself thinking of Job a lot. It's interesting how these stories from the Bible can really enter into our daily lives! Powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete