Friday, March 18, 2011

Chapters 9 and 10

"Job and His Three Friends" by James Tissot

Chapter 9 is interesting.  It sounds like Job really has an awareness of God's greatness and power in the first part of the chapter.  Then Job's speech takes a turn - it sounds like he's saying, "How can I even argue with God?  God is God."  Job longs for someone who could be a go-between/an arbitrator/an advocate. 

Chapter 10 begins on a note of deep pain: "I loathe my very life."  I think we've all been there at some point.  10:8 and 10:9 are beautiful and so very sad.  My translation says: "Your hands shaped me and made me.  Will you now turn and destroy me?  Remember you molded me like clay.  Will you now turn me to dust again?"  This words reminded me of Ash Wednesday. 

Questiosn for reflection: 
-What jumped out to you from Job's speech in chapters 9 and 10?
-Can you relate to his feelings? 
-If Jesus were having a conversation with Job, what do you think he'd say?

3 comments:

  1. Yes I agree Job knows the greatness of God. He also says again, "I loathe my life. He also says this in Chapter 7, 9 & 10. I looked up loathe in the dictionary. Loathe means to dislike greatlhy, abominate, abhor, detest, hate. It is a pretty strong word. My study bilble says this is a literealy "my sould feels loathing". These days we would diagnose him with depression. But sometimes I feel that we have a right to be depressed in certain situations. Job is certainly justified. His whole world is gone. Except for his "helpful" friends. On another note. Chapter 10:11. I knew that God liked knitters, now I found he was one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too that Job knows the power and greatness of God, but Ch.9 seems to me his acknowledgment of that greatness was more in the context of coming down on himself and not praising God's power..v2-3"Indeed, I know that this is true. But how can mere mortals prove their innocence before God?""Though they wished to dispute with him, they could not answer him one time out of a thousand." It's as though Job is saying, God is so great, who am I to question is power and plan? I am no one. I agree Bev, that Job sounds very depressed, almost suicidal it seems to me. v21 "Although I am blameless, I have no concern for myself; I despise my own life." Pretty powerful stuff. Life and struggles can be very overwhelming at times, it's very easy to let yourself feel those things and think those thoughts. It continues into ch10. The verse there that got me was v14 "If I sinned, you would be watching me and would not my offense go unpunished." Almost a sense of paranoia, that even the slightest mistake goes unnoticed and would not be forgiven. That fear of being watched so closely and scrutinized for everything you do. Powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts, you two.
    Bev, that word "loathe" is really intense! Thanks for looking up the definition!

    Job is at the lowest of the low point, I think. He describes this type of sadness in a beautiful, tragic way.

    ReplyDelete