Monday, April 4, 2011

Chapter 23 (for Monday) and Chapter 24 (for Tuesday)

By Vladimir Borovikovsky

23:This is an interesting chapter, isn't it?  Job seems to have a very genuine awe and respect for God, even though he doesn't understand what God is up to.  That's often how I feel, too.  How did you interpret verse 10?  It sounds like Job is saying: "I'm going to come through this okay.  I'm going to pass this test."

24:
If I were to summarize this chapter, I'd say: "The bad people prosper and the good people suffer.  God, why does this happen?"  24:25 seems to be saying, "If I'm wrong, tell me!  Tell me what I'm saying isn't true!" 

And basically, Job is right in a lot of ways, don't you think?  A lot of things happen in life that I sure can't explain (although it would be nice).  We don't always know the answers, but we can trust that God is present in the midst of it.  That gives me hope.  What is bringing you hope today?

2 comments:

  1. I agree Pr.Em...in Ch 23 we see Job question God but in a different tone than earlier chapters and deep in his heart he knows..verse 6 "Would he vigorously oppose me? No, he would not press charges against me." He knows. And I interpret verse 10 the same way, and I like verse 11 "my feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside." All of Job's frustration and ranting in the earlier verses seems to have subsided and although his questions remain unanswered I feel like he has that understanding, almost peace, that God will take care of him in the end. Verse 14 "He carries out his decree against me, and many such plans he still has in store."
    As far as Ch.24, I refer back to my post for Ch21-22...some of life's hardest questions go unanswered, despite how hard we search, despite how hard we ask...many times answers never come. This blog is giving me hope today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I have missed a few days. Thanks for your comments. I agree ch 23 is more hopeful, less angry.

    ReplyDelete